Go to page...     Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QQ Home  ~  Guild Wars 2 General Discussion  ~  whats fun about having to have someone devoted to trebbing?

Author Info Message
OP points: 0 Reply points: 6
Treb seemed pretty easy to disable all things considered -- if it were effective to have someone on it the whole time, I can't imagine it would stay up the whole time. I did wind up camping on it after taking out the enemy's during hot-join after one of the tournaments, but unfortunately my team couldn't really capitalize (even after I got the hang of aiming), being noobs.

While inexact I do think the flag running comparison has some merit; it does add dynamics and can even make or break the game, but is potentially a drag for the person repairing/firing compared to fighting with the team. I expect this to be mitigated by the somewhat more dynamic class roles however -- I can't really see someone making a dedicated trebber like they did a dedicated flag runner. Who you want to send at any given point will hopefully vary depending on what's going on, so instead of 1 dedicated person you spread the work around some.

Or maybe it's just whoever has the most speed buffs and can get there.

I am interested to see the destructible parts of the map come together, and also what other interactive environmental objects/objectives they have in mind. It seems like they've tried to bring in more of the environmental stuff in terms of picking up limbs and branches and firing cannons and flicking switches and the like...

All in all, I was suitably impressed and remain quite pumped for the game to come out (in 2016).
User avatar OP points: -3 Reply points: 1,426 Location: Dieing in your backline.
Necro on treb to good? lol That necro sat on treb all game.
OP points: 31 Reply points: 1,145
tr4v15 wrote:
Necro on treb to good? lol That necro sat on treb all game.

that was something i found particularly bothersome.

but on the flipside, I didn't see anyone camping shit with turrets.

In gw1 you were always busy killing shit; either you kill the enemy or npcs. Those were pretty much all the objectives. Standing on some stupid shrine is fucking boring.
Well if that's all it would encompass I would agree with you but wouldn't there be people trying to stop you from capping that you can kill? I Imagine a 1v1 or a 1v2 over a shire is a lot more exiting than sending a fire ele to kill an archer.
There's definitely a lot more to cap points in GW2. There will always probably be fighting because I feel every character is capable of fighting every other character so fighting wouldn't be discouraged in the normal cap points sense. Also unlike AB the cap points don't determine how many points the enemy gets from you dying so there's no reason to avoid fighting and unlike HB there isn't broken shadow stepping to allow you to purposely avoid almost all fighting and rely on hero micro instead.
User avatar OP points: 25 Reply points: 798 Location: C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe
Kaon wrote:
Am I the only person here that has never liked shrine based play? I hate the shrines in AB (though I love the battles) and tomz, and I think costume brawl is just really really boring byob.

In gw1 you were always busy killing shit; either you kill the enemy or npcs. Those were pretty much all the objectives. Standing on some stupid shrine is fucking boring.

Although I can appreciate where you're coming from...

Flag Stand in GvG is essentially a more interesting shrine. i.e. if a player/team 'holds' the area/flag-stand/shrine for X time they receive a bonus/points/morale.
Shrines are just simplified flag-stands.

Anyways guys, there won't be trebuchets on every map, probably only a select few.

there isnt one flag stand, there's several.

you can't damage the guild lord, the flag stands do damage to it instead.

each map has its own flair, e.g. trebuchets on Khylo, Trebuchets on Wizards etc, but will follow the same basic outline.

Best way to think of it is, there won't be flag runners, people will just be running flags when the opportunity presents itself.

There'll be plenty of running and plenty of fighting.

Trebuchets will be extremely useful should one of your teammates find themselves outnumbered on a shrine... just nuke it and then your teammate can mop up.

A dedicated trebber probably won't be efficient; more like whoever can reach the treb the quickest would be the one to use it. You'll more than likely see some teams keep a player purposefully close to the trebber in case it is needed, and defend the middle shrine simultaneously.
Site Admin OP points: 200 Reply points: 2,937
I don't get why thoughts are that people sitting on trebs are like flag runners. They seem more like people sitting in their Lord pit until VoD and then Glyph Sac / Meteor Showering NPCs to death.

I don't know as much as I probably should on the whole thing, but it seems to me that Trebs not doing damage to allies is something that should probably be addressed. I do like the new direction of having cap points, but ideally I'd like to see several game modes rather than cap points for all the competitive games. I don't know if that's the case or not but it would be decent to have different objectives/different game types in competitive play so the top teams are actually the most versatile rather than just 1 trick ponies or those abusing the most broken shit for a particular format.

ALSO! To those saying "OMG STOP COMPLAINING" - you do realise that the game is in a development stage and not bringing attention to perceived problems, at least to force discussion on it, is something that used to be a huge problem that people hated PvE players for? Why carebear it up saying the game is perfect so there are cracks to be papered over, rather than seeing something that could potentially be a problem be talked about and evaluated. The way in which issues are brought up and discussed is important, but to ignore them is ridiculous.
User avatar OP points: 53 Reply points: 1,130 Location: NYC
I don't agree with you that the treb not doing damage to allies needs to be addressed, no one would use it if it could damage allies since they are often a punch away distance wise from the enemies than the risk of killing or downing your own allies would be too great. Neither the enemy team nor your own would take the chance with it, I don't need to have played the game to see the logic behind the trebs only damaging foes.

I don't think anyone wants the trebuchet to be the focal point of that map and this is the concern being addressed.
User avatar OP points: 79 Reply points: 369 Location: PvE land
Reverend_Dr wrote:
Just like we don't use the catapult in GW1?

I don't think anyone wants the trebuchet to be the focal point of that map and this is the concern being addressed.

What if the treb did cata-esque damage to everyone to allow for more strategy and tactics?

VoD for screenshot.

Starts at about 40minutes in I think? Our team(Blue) with Damon and Jaden.
The problem is not having a cata but feeling as though it NEEDS to be used. The thing with GW1 was that the cata's were in a position so as to make it difficult for them to be used offensively against the other team, so they were often ignored during the main chunk of the battle. If you have a catapult which can only hit the shrines closest to your base then you solve a lot of problems with them being used consistently, because in actuality they'd only really be used when you're being backed into a corner or rushed. This makes total sense and really boosts the chances of teams fighting back. Of course, this all depends on shrine positions and I haven't played on the maps themselves so I don't know how it looks.

Reply to topic
Page 3 of 5   |   61 posts
Go to page...     Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Print view  |  Previous topic  |  Next topic