QQ Home  ~  General Discussion  ~  MIT Offers Free Online Course with Certificate

Author Info Message
User avatarSite Admin OP points: 148 Reply points: 1,431
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-1 ... icate.html

Quote:
The first class -- 6.002x: Circuits and Electronics -- will be free, though subsequent courses will come with a small fee. Through its new MITx initiative, non-MIT students will, for the first time, have their performance assessed and receive certificates if they show mastery in the subject, the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based school said in a statement.

There are many free online courses available, and more all the time, but assessment for a free course is fresh terrain. Lots of ifs and risks and how-are-they-going-to-handles but I think it's an awesome step into the future. A tiny taste of a life outside our flawed formal education system and I can't help but be really enthusiastic. I want more. Would it be amazing if you could educate yourself in almost anything online? For free? With certification? Cool. Do you think kids could handle the informal approach? Would it breed troglodytes or savants? How young is too young for an online course? Can the Internet abolish the anti-social con that plagues home-schooling, or is there no substitute for physical contact? I guess we'll start seeing some answers by March 5 when the MIT course begins.

Btw I quote: "The introductory course calls for an advanced mathematics and physics background."

I don't think "kids" can handle it.

WTB new guild!
OP points: 2 Reply points: 41
I don't think MITx will begin to offer courses for people too far below college age (16-17+) for quite some time. A resource for those people that is pretty far along in development is the Khan Academy. They offer video lectures for a huge amount of topics, even up to organic chemistry.

Personally, I'm really excited for some future MITx courses. If you're interested in a topic at more advanced level (like circuits, for instance) but don't have time in your current curriculum or the money, I think it'll be a great way to supplement your education if you have the motivation. Especially if the certification process is rigorous, employers may actually take that as a part of a resume, which is also encouraging and exciting.

Last edited by Zen on Feb 15 2012, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar OP points: 139 Reply points: 1,926 Location: Earth
Khan Academy + College Material = Education Revolution

The traditional college system will be fighting tooth and nail against this.

Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1   |   4 posts
Print view  |  Previous topic  |  Next topic